Apply these practical tips to reduce the complexity of your code.
1. Generally speaking, software engineers search for various ways to achieve code quality and maintainability. But unfortunately fail, due to the various variables that affect codebase quality. With the constant pressure from senior management, tighter project deadlines, frequent changes of the team member, and non-existent or ignored coding standards, eventually, the complexity of the codebase will increase, and the errors will become a common practice and not the exception.
2. To avoid the common pitfalls, we could introduce several practices and rules to help us maintain a quality codebase:
3. Introducing cyclomatic complexity analysis as a part of a Continues Integration build where if the threshold is exceeded the changes will be rejected.
4. Cyclomatic complexity defines the tests process – the number of tests required for a method equals the method's cyclomatic complexity. It measures the minimum effort and best areas of concentration for testing.
5. Cyclomatic complexity is easy to apply a metric rule that could be integrated as an additional validation rule when developing.
6.Cyclomatic complexity could be an additional validity metric during the PR reviews.